Friday 5 February 2016

Starting the e-learning adventure

Lots of trepidation at the moment as I enter the world of the somewhat unknown. Although fully aware of the concept of e-learning, it is certainly always easier to stay within my own comfort zone which doesn't necessarily include the optimal use of technology. The morning has been a good introduction though at reiterating that the technology needs to complement the teaching in reaching the learning outcome and not just introducing it for the sake of ticking a box.

Looking at possible situations and where e-learning might be of use, I'm thinking of the clinical rotations of my students, and the teaching sessions I'm facilitating to improve their clinical reasoning. Could students use their SWOT to identify specific clinical learning needs at the halfway mark of their clinical block. Asking a colleague to record them (use of mobile phone) and perhaps use peer assessment to give them feedback on their performance. And subsequent reflection by the student who can use the video for self-assessment?



4 comments:

  1. awesome !!!! can't wait to learn with you all !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a bubble of energy and enthusiasm!I hope it is contagious!

      Delete
  2. Video recording and peer assessment are great moves in medical education. Should do more to see how it can be used formally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so little knowledge about e-learning that I think this module is going to be worth my while! Feelings of anxiety regarding my abilities!

    ReplyDelete